A Piñata Mind
Friday
  March: I me mine
Note: Blogs demand updating, and although this blog is a journal of a now three year journey, I don't expect you to wade through history to get the updates. This is the first of weekly updates to the quest chronicled herein. I'll attempt to post these updates such that you need little context from the broader story. Kim Garretson

"Coming on strong all the time, All thru' the day I me mine." The Beatles.

A friend last week gave me a jolt when she commented on my story: "You shouldn't call it 'my cancer'. It's not yours." It was such a jolt, I had to have her repeat this. Why? Because I realized that for three years I had given cancer a place on the shelf that defined me. I did a quick search of this entire site and sure enough, there are three references to "my remaining cancer".

I asked a healer named Jon MacRae whom I'm seeing about the concept of considering cancer, even though it spawns from my cellular structure, as an alien that I needn't consider in my possession. Jon said that Buddhism, a doctrine I've yet to dabble in, holds that the "material" body and the elements therein can be separated by a balance of mind and body. Later in the week another friend and college classmate gave me a poem titled The Guest House by Rumi. This piece suggests that you treat honorably any uninvited guests in the "being human", even if they are "a crowd of sorrows". Why? The poet says these guests could be "clearing you out for some new delight" and that "each has been sent as a guide from beyond". What do you think? I'd like to hear your comments.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]